POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Sanity-check win beta 39 : Re: Sanity-check win beta 39 Server Time
29 Apr 2024 02:00:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sanity-check win beta 39
From: omniverse
Date: 14 Sep 2010 06:20:00
Message: <web.4c8f4b48a04a4d15d939a6800@news.povray.org>
Okay in Vista (32bit), with some minor caveats such as msi file type not being
seen in Start|Run... but I don't know what can be done about that.  :)

Location stated for Vista during install is not same as mine,
UserName\AppData\Local\Programs here not Local\...

I uninstalled and retried using the C:\Program Files location just to check that
out.
Must turn off UAC, of course, which would perhaps be understood by people
wanting to install there. If not, the install error is probably cryptic.

Turning UAC back on afterward requires answering the security risk popup every
time POV is run. I wasn't able to get that bypassed by running as administrator,
or editing permissions (yet?). It's not something I do much so maybe I'm
overlooking something, just seems I was able for some previous betas.

I like the default location choice, especially considering the trouble with the
alternative noted above. Also, AppData\Local\Programs makes more sense to me
than the prior AppData\Roaming.
I'm now accustom to files being at Documents\POV-Ray so no complaints there.