POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Memory handling and cloning of object : Re: Memory handling and cloning of object Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:55:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory handling and cloning of object
From: Techdir
Date: 9 Sep 2010 03:00:01
Message: <web.4c8884b35c03c1633b9159050@news.povray.org>
>   A "reference object" feature has been suggested, but probably won't be
> implemented in the near future. http://bugs.povray.org/task/87
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Is that a matter of available time with the current developers, or technical
complexity?

I'm a coder by trade, I've got some free time and I rather want this feature, so
I should get off my posterior and write a patch. On the complexity front I'm
fine with the manipulation of rays, bounding volumes and simple primitives but
probably not mathematically adept enough to come up with polynomial root solvers
and more involved stuff.

The description you linked to regarding the object_ref keyword mirrors what I'd
been thinking about over the last few days. I'll download the source, have a
look through and resume this thread in the programming group in a day or two's
time once I've got some sensible questions.

Brian