POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How can I make a sun-like object? : Re: How can I make a sun-like object? Server Time
4 Jul 2024 14:32:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can I make a sun-like object?
From: D103
Date: 5 Sep 2010 19:45:01
Message: <web.4c84284fb7c5d6bffbcf4b170@news.povray.org>
> Am 05.09.2010 01:52, schrieb D103:
> > I have made a scene using heightfields to make a mountain range, and I wanted to
> > add a sun positioned just above the mountains. I have tried using a sphere with
> > media, a disc object with a pigment map, and a looks_like statement, but nothing
> > seems to work. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
>
> You might want to explain /what/ seems wrong with those approaches.

The disc had a pigment map, which started of as white, changed to yellow about
half way, and then faded to transparency. It also had an ambient of 1, and was
at the same position as the light source. When rendered the disc showed up as
pure white, even when I reversed the pigment map.

The sphere was also at the same position, and used scattering media with a
density map. When I rendered it, it looked like a flat yellow disc.

Both objects were positioned at about <2000, 250, 0> and had radii of 100, with
the camera at <2, 0.01, 0> and looking at <1, 0.05, 0>. There were two planes
simulating clouds at y*0.3 and y*0.7, and at one stage I replaced these with a
box covering the area from <3, 0.3, 4> <-3, 1, -4> with media, but this still
did not give any glare.

I hope this makes it clearer.