POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity gives only black images : Re: Radiosity gives only black images Server Time
30 Jun 2024 17:31:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity gives only black images
From: Darats
Date: 3 Sep 2010 19:55:01
Message: <web.4c818996e00779fb6dea8f700@news.povray.org>
> Am 02.09.2010 13:42, schrieb Darats:
>
> > Now, the probleme is that I can't get exactely the same result as the 3.6
> > version. Here my colors seem to be "washed out" (it's like everything is more
> > "grey" and less shiny than on the 3.6 version). I don't know what to do.
> >
> > Any guess on that ?
>
> Gamma.

Ok, I've tried to play with the gamma setting before, but with no results.

> This is the typical effect of gamma correction, which POV-Ray 3.6 didn't
> do properly (with the result that scenes were designed "wrong" to /look/
> "right"), but which POV-Ray 3.7 now does a pretty good job at (with the
> result that scenes designed "wrong" now indeed /look/ "wrong".)
>

> Now the first thing to note here is that theoretically, POV-Ray 3.7
> /should/ do gamma correction in the same "wrong" way as 3.6 when
> "#version 3.6" is used. What you observe is that this doesn't seem to be
> the case, so we /may/ still have an issue there, and I'll have a closer
> look at this.
>
> I might need a bit of information for this purpose:
>
> - What is the Display_Gamma setting you use (if any)?

So, I haven't set any Display gamma anywhere (3.6 or 3.7) so it should be
default values for both versions.

> - What is the File_Gamma setting (if any)?

No file gamma too.

> - Are you using "assumed_gamma" in the scene? If so, what is it set to?

I use an assumed gamma of 1.2 on my 3.6 scene, so the same value in 3.7 is much
darker, if I add #version 3.6 it is much better but the colors look more "grey"
as I explained before.

> - Are you using image-based textures in the scene?

No it is just colored materials for the objects but I have a HDR image as a
sky_sphere