POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : output an octree file : Re: output an octree file Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:41:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: output an octree file
From: Sven Geier
Date: 31 Aug 2010 17:25:01
Message: <web.4c7d7306e632d53a274f74a20@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback <jho### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
> On 08/13/2010 08:03 AM, jazzman wrote:
> > I can't seem to find any documentation on the "inside()" function. Could you
> > please refer me to some?
>
> It's alphabetically listed in this section:
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_2#Functions

That's not much of a documentation, I'd like to note. I had never heard of this
function, but from the documentation I concluded that it should be possible to
do something like this with it:

#declare letters = object { text { ttf "arialuni.ttf"  "OPQ", 1, 0} };
isosurface {
  function { 0.5-inside( letters ,<x,y,z> ) }
  contained_by {sphere {0 2}}
  max_gradient 5
  pigment {color rgb .5}
}

Instead, this gives me the laconic error message

"C:\Documents and Settings\Sven\test.pov" line 17: Parse Error: Expected
'operand', object identifier found instead

with the cursor sitting on the object identifier "letters" in the "inside()"
function. So apparently "inside()" doesn't actually accept an object reference
as an argument, but requires an "operand" (whatever that may mean in this
context).