POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : a general gripe : a general gripe Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:14:50 EDT (-0400)
  a general gripe
From: DaBjork
Date: 30 Aug 2010 23:20:00
Message: <web.4c7c74832104e7351f9e045a0@news.povray.org>
First I should say this isn't a big deal, and povray is awesome all praise be to
the creators so I only complain with deference in this and all matters to the
brilliant and dedicated team that made this masterpiece to begin with

I would say the biggest irk I have with povray is the aspect ratio issue.  I
know the fix and I have read all about why it is the way it is but I must say,
in this day and age, the need for a square or otherwise not 4x3 image (for
instance for a wide screen monitor) seems much more prevalent than the need for
non square pixels.  Of course it goes without saying that people who want the
special and strange behavior should be the ones who have to enter the keywords
in.  Frankly, I think in the modern world non square pixels are a sign of
insanity.  I know we can all change our hideously low resolution windows boot
screen to a hideously low resolution RAYTRACED boot screen (whoopie!) but I can
honestly say that I have never even considered doing that.  On the other hand, I
am constantly making square images for wiki pages and presentations.  I often
take a formerly 4x3 image and make a square version for somebody.  I wish I
could just change my makefile.  Maybe I'm alone here.

Ok, I got that off my chest. please do not take offense, I am merely complaining
to the ether, as I am continually impressed with the general awesomeness of the
code.