POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : tracing performance for meshes : tracing performance for meshes Server Time
29 Jun 2024 02:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  tracing performance for meshes
From: ghostch
Date: 18 Aug 2010 07:10:01
Message: <web.4c6bbf1e1a5bf55e8a4c179b0@news.povray.org>
Hello everyone!
My question regards the rendering speed of smooth triangle meshes. What I have
tried is to reduce the number of triangles of my meshes using VTK's decimator
routine: Since the meshes originally come from a marching cubes triangulation,
they consist of a large number of relatively small triangles - many of them
coplanar. So the decimator eliminates up to 90% of the triangles without visible
loss of detail.
However, for povray it takes double or triple the time to render the reduced
meshes. Why is that? Could it be that the different sizes of triangles in the
reduced mesh (the decimator tends to produce very "long" triangles with sharp
angles sometimes)?