POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows Setup design : Re: Windows Setup design Server Time
2 Jul 2024 09:56:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows Setup design
From: MDenham
Date: 12 Aug 2010 22:35:01
Message: <web.4c64ae87de566fca9cd17b470@news.povray.org>
SharkD <pos### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 7/28/2010 10:33 PM, Chris Cason wrote:
> > Microsoft has also apparently realized that it was a bit confusing not to
> > have defined a program files equivalent under the user's profile, so now
> > there is one: by default, it's C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs
> > (see the above article for reference to this, where they state "When a user
> > installs the dual-purpose package on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
> > using the per-user context, these components are saved in the Programs
> > folder of the current user (for example at %LocalAppData%\Programs) and can
> > be accessed only by that user.")
>
> The next step for MS would seem to be to replace "C:\Program Files" with
> "C:\Users\All Users\AppData\Local\Programs" if this is the case. And I
> still don't think executables and settings should both be located in
> "AppData". Or at least, they should make the distinction between
> executables and settings much more clear in the folder naming scheme.
> Therefore, I would bet MS will change the recommendations yet once
> again, maybe when they release their next OS.
>

> Mike
They'll probably set up a junction point at each C:\Users\<username>\AppData to
rename it to something more appropriate in Windows 8, just like they did at
Vista when they reorganized the users' directory tree (My Documents is a
junction point to Documents, for example).

To be honest, I'd rather have them invert the tree slightly there and make it
C:\Users\<username>\Local\(Applications, AppData, etc.) (and likewise for
LocalLow and Roaming) as that makes more sense from an organizational standpoint
- to me, at least.