POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of energy : Re: A question of energy Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:13:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of energy
From: gregjohn
Date: 2 Aug 2010 16:35:01
Message: <web.4c572b541b50655cae3cb5160@news.povray.org>
> Am 31.07.2010 22:36, schrieb Orchid XP v8:
>
> >> 1 Joule is also the energy transformed in heat in 1 second by a 1 Ohm
> >> resistor when the current is 1 ampere.
> >
> > And here I was thinking that the heat produced depends on the
> > characteristics of the material, not just the current...
>
> In a sense that's true - but the material characteristics influence the
> resistance /exactly/ the same way as the heat produced ;-)

Heat is heat is heat.  If heat is generated, heat is generated. Don't confuse
that with _temperature_ . The temperature that objects rise to will depend on a
number of properties, starting with _heat_capacity_  and eventually influenced
by _thermal_conductivity_ , convection currents in the neighborhood, etc..   A 1
Ohm aluminum and 1 ohm tungsten wire will warm up differently, even if the same
heat were generated.