POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weren't we talking about mainframes here? : Re: Weren't we talking about mainframes here? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weren't we talking about mainframes here?
From: nemesis
Date: 2 Aug 2010 16:05:00
Message: <web.4c5724859910dd81f48316a30@news.povray.org>
we were?

What this really shows me is that niches never die.  People invent some new
activity/craftsmanship and 500 years from now there will still be people working
on it no matter how niche and irrelevant it is.

The other day I read this:
http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2010/july/the-helvetica-killer

it got me thinking how much importance font really design has.  He makes some
passionate arguments that only a few colleagues from the same craft will truly
understand.  How much more legible fonts should be than ancient roman font
engravings?  In the end it's all a matter of personal taste, some experts
claiming this or that should be the ideal for this or that occasion.

So, font foundry has some 2000 years of history, even though in the end of day
it is a very irrelevant and personal thing.  I'm sure some Cobol programmer some
500 years from now will still be making bold claims about the language.