POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Optional way to handle #include files? : Re: Optional way to handle #include files? Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Optional way to handle #include files?
From: stevenvh
Date: 31 Jul 2010 05:00:01
Message: <web.4c53e5082fe4fe04c0721a1d0@news.povray.org>
> The suggestion of caching include files comes up every now and then. The
> issue is that there is no way to determine if an include file is modified by
> some other file. The only always reliable way to determine this is by
> parsing the scene, defeating any optimization on parsing.
>
>  Thorsten

Personally I see no reason why POV-Ray would expect the include file to be
changed. It could read the file and subsequently read from the cache.
Alternatively one could indicate that the file doesn't change between reads and
that it's safe to read from the cache by including "static":

    #include "doesntchange.inc"  static
    #include "maychange.inc"