POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : xkcd colors : Re: xkcd colors Server Time
28 Apr 2024 15:29:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: xkcd colors
From: waggy
Date: 20 Jul 2010 01:55:00
Message: <web.4c45396d3ccde340f99d05c80@news.povray.org>
"robotguy" wrote:
> I'm not surprised I missed a few; the original file wasn't exactly harmonious
> with the spreadsheet software (OpenOffice.org) and if I had any hair I would've
> torn some out.  After a while I just didn't care if robins egg blue and robin's
> egg blue were different colors.

Thanks for posting this!

My personal weapon of choice for this kind of thing is a text editor, with
liberal application of the undo function.  From reading what Monroe wrote about
it, most (but not all) of these colors should have been consolidated to a single
value anyway.  Since this should be done by reprocessing the raw data (which is
also available), I passed on it for now.  As many have attested, and I can also
confirm from personal experience, working with color names is something that
drives people insane.  (I suppose it won't be long before it's adopted for
"enhanced interrogation" in some form.)

Two things I like about the resulting list: being able to just type what I think
should be a color name without having to search a list to get it with a good
chance of successful parsing, and being confident that most people who see the
named color in an image will recognize it as the one I intended.

I'm already using the color list for "serious" work, and noted some benefit.
(Yellow was too light, but DARK_YELLOW seems to work well.)

~waggy