POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Crystal made of millions of atoms : Re: Crystal made of millions of atoms Server Time
5 Jul 2024 03:29:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crystal made of millions of atoms
From: Tomohiro
Date: 18 Jul 2010 11:10:00
Message: <web.4c4318c12122fbf4346f4c500@news.povray.org>
I tried blob and it was true that it reduced time and memory significantly,
but it was not enough.

Thus I used isosurface's with functions of

 0.55 - abs(cos(x/Dist*pi) * cos(y/Dist*pi) * cos(z/Dist*pi))    for atoms
 0.89 - abs(cos(y/Dist*pi) * cos(z/Dist*pi))                     for bonds

where Dist is the lattice constant, while it is not a true sphere.
Last time I wrote the result was something wrong but I found that
usage of max_gradient value of about 3000 - 5000 will give a
good result. This was faster than usage of blob.

However, even using sufficiently large max_gradient, some small
artifacts remain. The artifacts seem to be related to shadow on
an "atom" or a "bond" from other "atoms" or "bonds".