POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to print a CSG : Re: How to print a CSG Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to print a CSG
From: Carl
Date: 17 Jul 2010 21:25:01
Message: <web.4c425721d9d79fb6a78d16e60@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> Unfortunately there is no easy way to do this, as they will be expecting a
> triangle mesh.  There are macros for POV lying around that will convert your
> CSG into a mesh, you might then want to import into a mesh modeller to check
> and tidy up any items.

Any specific macros you'd recommend? Links?

> I would also ask (or maybe it's on their website?) what resolution they work
> at.  This will determine the resolution of triangle mesh you want to
> generate from the CSG.
>
> Given the simplicity of the model (and that several parts seem to be
> repeated), it might turn out faster in the end (and provide higher quality
> results) if you start again in a mesh modeller (or CAD software if you have
> access) rather than POV.

POV-Ray is the only 3D modeller I've taught myself how to use.  I tend to think
in terms of CSG; intersections, unions, differences, of spheres, cones, planes,
boxes, etc.  Any modellers that would be easy to learn how to use that would
allow me to work in the same terms but which would create a triangle mesh?  Any
that are free?

Thanks,
Carl