POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : how to visualize what you want? : how to visualize what you want? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:27:01 EDT (-0400)
  how to visualize what you want?
From: rebeltaz
Date: 17 Jul 2010 03:50:00
Message: <web.4c415fa19a99249a516ec1d10@news.povray.org>
I used POV ten or fifteen years ago and it was a Windows-based GUI system. I
have long since forgotten everything that I knew, and I have moved on to Linux.
Since there aren't many, if any, GUI modeling programs for Linux, I was looking
at the tutorials on writing the code in a text editor. While I am perfectly
capable of writing code using a text editor in numerous BASIC, C++, PHP and HTML
languages, that's more of an abstract process.

What I am curious about is hard to explain. I guess... how do you 'see' what you
are designing when you are only working with code. How do you know that the
camera goes here. How do you that this shape is at these coordinates. I guess I
am having a hard time understanding how you plot an image that you can't see.

I hope what I am asking makes sense. I'm not asking for a tutorial on how to
write the code. More of the mentality behind writing the code. Or maybe I am
missing something?

Thanks for your patience in reading this (since you got this far :)