POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Developing POV-Ray graphics for a steampunk themed game : Developing POV-Ray graphics for a steampunk themed game Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Developing POV-Ray graphics for a steampunk themed game
From: mikera
Date: 15 Jul 2010 15:20:00
Message: <web.4c3f5f0581022bf325e1fe5e0@news.povray.org>
Hello all,

I'm am aspiring independent game developer and an enthusiastic amateur with
POV-Ray. My current project is a steampunk-themed hex-based strategy game,
provisionally titled "Ironclad".

For better or worse, I've decided to create the graphics with POVRay. My
rationale is that the ability to programmatically generate large volumes of high
quality graphics is pretty compelling when you think about the number of
permutations needed for different types of terrain and units (which may need
multiple orientations and animations).

To give you an idea, here is a link to an example POV-Ray output file as used in
the game:

http://yfrog.com/5junitsp

And here is a link to an early screenshot of the game in action:

http://yfrog.com/9e100714perfectmapcompletp

Two questions for the group:

1. Do you have any feedback, either on the idea or the execution? I'd love to
get tips on how to make the quality truly professional.

2. Would anyone be keen to help create graphics for the game on an ad-hoc,
commission basis? This might suit you if you have a talent and passion for this
kind of thing and want to earn some extra cash.....

Best regards,

  Mike.