POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Index of Refraction Question : Re: Index of Refraction Question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:13:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Index of Refraction Question
From: David Miller
Date: 14 Jul 2010 14:50:01
Message: <web.4c3e060fe54b8db5e289b4d90@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback <jho### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
> On 07/13/2010 08:50 PM, David Miller wrote:
> > I've pasted my code below. The liquid is the ellipsoid and the crystal is the
> > box.
> >

> you want something other than ior 1.0 ...
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_6#Refraction
>
> see the 2nd paragraph
>
> also have a look at consts.inc (distribution include file) there are a
> few ior definitions in that file
>
> Jim

Thanks for the response. Sorry, my question was not exactly clear. I know that
the ior has to be changed to see refraction. I just copied and pasted the code i
had at that moment and the iors happened to be one. Let me try to rephrase is so
it's obvious what i need.
I want to put a cube (with index of refraction and transmit values to be
determined later) inside an ellipsoid (also with ior and transmit values tbd
later). The problem I'm running into is that once the cube is inside the
ellipse, the two indexes of refraction don't behave how they should. For
example, if the two are the same, the cube should be invisible. Is there someway
to make this work or does pov-ray not like objects inside each other.