POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : povray different shading models list : Re: povray different shading models list Server Time
5 Jul 2024 04:29:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray different shading models list
From: Mr
Date: 12 Jul 2010 18:30:01
Message: <web.4c3b9101df4fb4b5f4f0fb5c0@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> > Yes I had noticed about the low diffuse value. about the high ambient, I have
> > doubts since toon shaders still need to be able to get good dark shadows.
> And I forgot about the outlines.
> Here, is another place to use an aoi pattern.
> aoi{[0 Your_Color][0.48 Your_Color][0.48 rgb 0]}
> And a suggested finish:
> finish{ambient 0 diffuse 1 brilliance 0}
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your help.
> >
> > For the Blinn, after some tests I chose to use just the specular keyword, So I
> > had to leave the blender IOR feature out.
> > For phong an Cooktorrence, the same phong and phong_size.
> > For wardiso I used the specular keyword with an increased specularity when spec
> > area is set tighter.
> >

> > About Oren Nayar:
> > The values below 1 for brilliance give terminator problems (blocky limit between
> > light and shadow) even if I forget about that, varying the brilliance doesn't
> > seem enough to look as good as the oren nayar. which seems to process by
> > lightening the edge when increasing its contrast sigma whereas brilliance rather
> > seems to darken by extending the shadows towards parts more influenced by light.
> > I still left things that way to be able to move on.
> The blockyness probably comes from the fact that you are using a mesh.
> The normal of some triangles can point toward the light while the raw
> triangle is facing away from it. The light don't bend around to reatch
> that area.
>

> > Other than that I Only have Fresnel and Minnaert left to do, but they're a pain
> > to conciliate with the texture system I had set up, which already had to make
> > use of the "russian mafia doll "finish map"" to map specular to a texture along
> > with alpha to a different texture along with diffuse image map and bump map.
> > I gave up all the other blender channels, to keep a little sanity, which I'm
> > preparing to waste in my fresnel / minnaert attempt :-)

Good idea for the outline. If I had searched for a solution for it I would
probably have come to the same or used the slope too. But I'm not sure I will
have time to nest one more level into the texture system... :-/

for the fresnel I need to attribute the "look at" vector of lamps from the
export script and use it for povray slope direction, but the problem is a lamp
in blender is generally specified by position and rotation, not by "look at"
unless you assign a constraint to it.
Any idea about an alternative way to feed the slope direction from arcs of
rotation and position of the lamp?

Like, is it possible to specify a starting count vector and "rotate" it by my
angle even though the look at seems to just be a position? (I have access to
matrices too, and am willing to learn more about those if needed).