POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead : Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 25 Jun 2010 04:20:00
Message: <web.4c246588e32ca2096dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan <fee### [at] festercom> wrote:
> Don't get me wrong - I really liked District 9. Just had some poor SF
> aspects. A lot of my issues with it could have been resolved without
> much effort. It just wasn't the director's goal.

I'm sure you mentioned it when the movie was first released, but OOC what were
your main issues with it?

> Of course, I suppose your point is that this is all subjective...

It strikes me that there are are lot of good 'SF' movies that are actually quite
poor (or barely even) SF (eg Empire Strikes Back), and a lot of poor movies
which feature good SF (eg Johnny Mnemonic). And a spectrum in between. Of
course, this is highly subjective ;-)

With regard to the Alien films, I'm surprised nobody thought to mention that
Alien is primarily a horror ('haunted house'-type) film, whereas the sequel is
primarily an action/war film. Of course, both are in an SF setting, and both
feature good and poor SF detail (my biggest SF gripe with the Alien series: what
on earth does the critter eat, to get man-sized in a matter of hours/days?)

Bill