POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Subdivision surfaces : Re: Subdivision surfaces Server Time
30 Jun 2024 13:27:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subdivision surfaces
From: Reactor
Date: 22 Jun 2010 15:45:01
Message: <web.4c2111974a640475f05617cf0@news.povray.org>
stbenge <myu### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Chris Cason wrote:
> > Before posting a feature or bug request, it might be useful to sound it out
> > with other users first. This doesn't mean you have to run it by us, but
> > getting other user's feedback can help improve the quality of the requests
> > we get. This isn't a hard and fast rule, it's just a suggestion.
>
> Would anyone apart from SharkD and myself like to see subdivision
> surfaces added to 3.7? POV-Sub's implementation* was perfect and easy to
> use. I replied to SharkD's feature request over at bugs.povray.org and
> listed some reasons explaining the benefits of this feature:

http://bugs.povray.org/task/133?string=subdivision&project=2&type%5B0%5D=&sev%5B0%5D=&pri%5B0%5D=&due%5B0%5D=&reporte
d%5B0%5D=&cat%5B0%5D=&status%5B0%5D=open&percent%5B0%5D=&opened=&dev=&closed=&duedatefrom=&duedateto=&changedfrom=&chan
gedto=&openedfrom=&openedto=&closedfrom=&closedto=

> * http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~xwu/Pov-Sub/

I certainly would.  I used to use PovSub before 3.7, changing primarily because
of SMP and the radiosity improvements.  I tend to use Wings3D a lot, so
subdivision is very handy for controlling the level of detail between renders
without having several copies of the same model.

-Reactor