POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : emission penetration into glass : Re: emission penetration into glass Server Time
5 Jul 2024 04:46:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: emission penetration into glass
From: Tomohiro
Date: 20 Jun 2010 02:40:01
Message: <web.4c1db6b93459a719b15656eb0@news.povray.org>
Thank you very much for your help.

> This is caused by coincident surfaces of the cutout geometry
> and the media containers. POV-Ray can't handle the case very
> well when the scene contains two surfaces which exactly match,
> even if that would best represent the real world geometry. So
> you have to make the hole slightly larger (scale by 1.001).

Unfortunately this did not work (my original code already has
this trick), but...

> Or do not cut out any hole at all, the reason you don't get
> effect in that case is that you forgot to make the glass box
> itself "hollow".

This worked very well.

> > 2. The usage of CSG gives a distinct outline of the beam, which looks
> >    strange.
>
> The problem is that there is no simple "conical" pattern which would
> fall off in the way you need. You would need to define your own density
> function based on the cone geometry. Alternatively, consider that a
> laser should have a cylindrical shape anyway then you can use the
> cylindrical pattern.

The laser consisted of two cones and one sphere (to express spark).
I enlarged very large sphere whose density is nonzero near the center.
This succeeded to remove the strange outline of the spark.