POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead : Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
From: nemesis
Date: 13 Jun 2010 14:20:01
Message: <web.4c152092e32ca209e8e0f5630@news.povray.org>
I kinda enjoyed it even though it was pretty predictable, perhaps because of
"2001" heritage:  lone guy on space with an AI, something's gonna break.  The
main point of tension was that for the most part it was not known if the AI was
evil or not.

It also draws from "Blade Runner":  the older clone seems to deteriorate
rapidly, which suggests they got a short time limit to their lives akin to those
of the replicants.  This was never explained in the movie though.  Another
possible explanation:  radiation from being out there for too much time?  But he
was on his gear...

It was kinda obvious he was a clone even from before he met the other guy:
edited recordings, memory issues akin to memory implants.  At first I thought
it'd be another horror-in-space like in "Event Horizon", but it rapidly became
obvious it was all about clones and evil corporations.  Even the AI showed up
less...

For some reason it was still enjoyable though.  Perhaps low expectations?