POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The computer project : Re: The computer project Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The computer project
From: nemesis
Date: 11 Jun 2010 23:35:00
Message: <web.4c12fff89d5e91c5b844e7240@news.povray.org>
> Invisible wrote:
> > And game engines... Well, that's probably way, way less exciting than it
> > sounds anyway. ;-)
>
> I expect designing the games is more cool than coding them. I expect coding
> game engines is more cool than most anyting "enterprise".

Most definitely.

Yet you guys underestimate how much work goes into trying to develop things like
Global Illumination or Participating Media in real time for games.  And looking
almost as good as hours-long renders...

> >> Sure, most are not as glamorous as designing the next GPU for the
> >> PlayStation 4,
> >
> > Actually, I imagine most jobs are way less exciting than they sound. ;-)
>
> Welcome to the real world, where jobs suck bad enough they have to pay you
> to do them.

Designing a GPU for PS4 may sound glamurous, but I guess if you were the
japanese guy working 30 hours a day under lots of pressure you'd actually think
of suicide... :P