POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Mapping bump_map texture onto lathe? : Mapping bump_map texture onto lathe? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:57:11 EDT (-0400)
  Mapping bump_map texture onto lathe?
From: CreeDo
Date: 31 May 2010 03:55:00
Message: <web.4c036a687eb3c538cd6516110@news.povray.org>
I am trying to make a pool cue with the lathe shape.

I know the texture starts out as a 1 unit square and I've scaled and translated
it appropriately. But because the cue tapers a bit, part of the texture looks
awful.

I was hoping to have the texture wrap evenly once around the cue, without tiling
or clipping on any section of it. But it looks like towards the middle it's
stretching or tiling in an ugly way. There are supposed to be triangular points,
and towards the bottom you see a correct sharp point. But at the top there's a
distorted round one.

http://creedo.gbgl-hq.com/cueproblem.jpg

I've tried scaling the x-width of the texture in various ways and they all
result in this visual effect.

If anyone wants to experiment with the file and texture, here they are:

http://creedo.gbgl-hq.com/cue.pov
http://creedo.gbgl-hq.com/cuetex.png

To save on rendering time, you can render just this region:
+sc0.473118 +sr0.288136 +ec0.531769 +er0.534550

Any help would be appreciated, it's driving me nuts.