POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDTV resolution : Re: HDTV resolution Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDTV resolution
From: nemesis
Date: 27 May 2010 18:55:01
Message: <web.4bfef7bb30f13b98dcf0cc690@news.povray.org>
"Fredrik Eriksson" <fe79}--at--{yahoo}--dot--{com> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2010 22:12:00 +0200, nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Finally got myself a HDTV, an entry level, 32 inches Sony Bravia.
>
> KDL-32EX302? That is the only entry-level 32" Bravia I could find; the
> other 32" models are all "Full-HD", i.e. 1080p. There might be other
> models available where you live though.

EX305, which I didn't find at the Sony site outside Brazil.  Possibly a model
based on this one, with adaptations for brazilian digital TV.

> > here's my question:  is the 720p limit bogus?
>
> No.
>
> >  Actually, it's described in the specification of the TV as a

> That is the actual resolution of the display panel, and thus the upper
> limit of what the TV can display.
>
> > Fact is, the screen was pretty able to display pictures higher than the
> > 768 limit without even filling up the whole screen -- and yes, I tried
> > different "wide" size modes.  It has not seemingly "downscaled", they
> > simply display just nicely in normal size mode, leaving plenty of empty
> > space.
>
> If the image is larger than 1366x768, it gets downscaled. You might not
> notice any lack of detail, because the images you are looking at are not
> very big to begin with, but they do get downscaled.

If they get downscaled why there still are plenty of empty pixels at the
borders, both vertical and horizontal?

Just to be absolutely sure, I rerendered a scene of mine in the exact 1366x768
resolution:

http://i49.tinypic.com/xsne9.jpg

I don't understand why a picture in the exact resolution of the specced
resolution would need to get so "downscaled" as to leave plenty of empty pixels
all around.

I was about to agree with you that it's all downscaled because I thought perhaps
it could be that normal display mode was actually trying to fit all pictures to
4:3 screen proportion.  But this doesn't follow, because pictures larger than
16:9 are not following this rule.

It's also worth of note that pictures far smaller than the supposed physical
limit seem to display in correct proportion in relation to the larger pictures.

I'm thinking of asking this in a specialized HDTV site...