POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prehistoric dust : Re: Dusty Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dusty
From: Clarence1898
Date: 19 May 2010 11:15:01
Message: <web.4bf3ffadecb621eff0b197720@news.povray.org>
Verm <a@b> wrote:
> >> Now if I could figure out what a typical MIPS rating for a normal PC
> >> today is, I'd have something dissimilar to compare it to. :-}
> <snip>
> > By running many jobs concurrently we make full use of the machine.  If I could
> > port POVRAY to our mainframe, I'm sure it would be slower than most current PCs.
> >  But cpu intensive work is not what the mainframe does best.
>
> I've always been tempted to try povray on one of our mainframes even if
> it was running from within linux on ZOs.
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_on_zSeries)

So have I.  Whenever I get time I would like to install zLinux in a test lpar to
see how well it runs.  Of course the first app I would try to port would be
povray.  Unfortunately getting the spare time is the hard part.  I no sooner get
done with one project and two are stacked in the queue.  Oh well, maybe someday.

Isaac