POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prehistoric dust : Re: Dusty Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dusty
From: Clarence1898
Date: 18 May 2010 12:10:00
Message: <web.4bf2bb37ecb621efaba2b8dc0@news.povray.org>
> So the concept of a filesystem storing named files already existed at
> this time?

Yes, its been around long before I got into this business.

> Sounds expensive.

Its not cheap.  But for the volume of data we process, its not that much more
expensive than a server farm

> Out of curiosity, what *do* you use it for?

All company information is kept on mainframe disks and maintained by mainframe
programs.  All customer information, product information, personnel information,
sales information etc.  This company started in the early 1900s selling its
merchandise from a store.  Then expanding sales to mail order catalog, then via
telemarketing, and now by internet.  The web front-end is handled by a small
server farm, but all back-end work is done on our mainframe.

Isaac