POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Has string handling been changed or improved? : Re: Has string handling been changed or improved? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:14:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Has string handling been changed or improved?
From: Kenneth
Date: 11 May 2010 08:40:00
Message: <web.4be94fb56ddd2defae92d9930@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   More briefly: The comparison operators are simply a shortcut to calling
> the strcmp() function of the SDL syntax.

Aha!  The 'key' to this mystery at last.  Thanks, Warp (and to Alain and Jim
Holsenbach as well.)

In light of this info, methinks that the wiki needs a bit of fleshing out, to
more fully describe the process. Warp's post could be included verbatim, for
example. (*Although*, even the strcmp() function's explanation is rather arcane
to me... "ASCII collating sequence..." ?? Egads.) It presupposes some info that
non-programmers may have trouble grasping. (Or else *I'm* the 'odd man out'
here, which is certainly possible.)

As it is, the wiki info about the new string operators leaves me with the
feeling that I'm having to grasp at straws to understand it; perhaps others
might feel the same way. Kind of like this situation: "It's generally known that
Einstein's gravity equations describe these details quite clearly, so there's no
need to discuss them here."

;-P

Ken