POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Has string handling been changed or improved? : Re: Has string handling been changed or improved? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:13:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Has string handling been changed or improved?
From: Edouard
Date: 10 May 2010 21:35:00
Message: <web.4be8b3426ddd2def516917dd0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> Some recent code posted by Edouard (his "DF3 Proximity Testbed")--meant for use
> with one of the 3.7 betas, I *think*--makes use of this kind of construct, which
> apparently does work now. (I'm just guessing; I only attempted to run part of
> his code in 3.6.1, which produced the same error. Silly to do, I know; but I
> like to experiment!)
>
> So a question, just out of curiosity: *Has* string handling been improved since
> 3.6.1, to successfully process this kind of thing? I haven't yet been able to
> find any info about it, when doing a search of the newsgroups.

I did the same thing! I wrote that code on 3.7 and then ran it on 3.6 and was
all "why doesn't that work"?

As other people have pointed out, the change is noted on the beta page. I find
it quite a useful addition.

The proximity creation code will only work on 3.7 (for DF3 writing, mesh
inside() testing, etc), but you should, in theory, be able to read the prox and
DF3 files on 3.6 (I haven't actually tested it though).

Cheers,
Edouard.