POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problem with normals? in mesh2 : Problem with normals? in mesh2 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:33:32 EDT (-0400)
  Problem with normals? in mesh2
From: gregjohn
Date: 9 May 2010 18:25:00
Message: <web.4be7359eae8b1efd34d207310@news.povray.org>
Hi, I have a mesh2 for which I've uploaded an animation of it rotating and
trashing about: ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI1vwkjvtFY ).  This isn't as
much a question about my animation style or about how I made an image, per se,
but about modeling with povray.

The mesh2 is largely an extruded circle, I just bend the spline which forms its
spine and/or change the shape and radius of the extruding hula hoop.  It's
largely based on Mike Williams' mesh includes.

There appears to be a problem in that it is unnaturally dark (IMO) on parts of
the surface seen at high incident angle.  My normals are calculated merely as
being normal to the SPINE, not considering all the points of all the triangles
around a pohint.   That would be harder math, but is it necessary?  I'm pretty
sure this is a real problem and not a function of bad lighting design.