POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RegEx help : RegEx help Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  RegEx help
From: Chambers
Date: 9 May 2010 13:40:00
Message: <web.4be6f30c8bf12a8ce79f0df40@news.povray.org>
Hey all, I know it's been a while since I've posted here, but I also know there
are some regex wizards who read these groups...

I never bothered learning regular expressions, but we're going over them for one
of my classes, and I'm having trouble searching for strings at the end of a line
with $.

As I understand it, $ matches for the end of the line.  Fine.  When I search
just for $, I get every line (as I should).

However, when I try to append $ onto any other expression, I don't get a single
match - not one - when I know there should be some.  For instance, the
following:
ing[.]$

Should search for any line ending in "ing."  Searching just for "ing[.]" returns
the hits I want (plus a few more), but "ing[.]$" doesn't return a single hit.

Any tips as to what I'm doing wrong?