POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity: maximum_reuse : Re: Radiosity: maximum_reuse Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:34:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: maximum_reuse
From: MDenham
Date: 9 May 2010 01:55:01
Message: <web.4be64d2227756df6f035a3e20@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> > Am 06.05.2010 19:10, schrieb Alain:
> >
> >> What will appen if you set it to low: smaller than minimum_reuse?
> >> An error, a warning and proceede, a warning and use the default value
> >> instead,...
> >
> > Presently, "maximum_reuse" will quietly win over "minimum_reuse" without
> > any warning.
>
> I think that's an acceptable beaviour. The only change I see would be
> the isuing of a warning in that case.
>

> Alain
Actually, if it's setting both the maximum and minimum reuse to the same value,
it's basically saying "only reuse if it's within (arbitrary small float value)
of maximum_reuse".

In effect, it mostly disables reusing of samples, with exceptions that aren't
necessarily reproducible on systems of different architecture (like, say, if
someone were inclined to make a build of POV-Ray for the XBox 360, since pretty
much everyone else is using an Intel or AMD processor).

I'd be inclined to, in situations like this, give a warning and then swap the
values on the assumption that someone just wasn't paying attention, rather than
a "mostly disabled" setting that's going to, at some point in the future, drive
someone nuts.