POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Possible bug with debug file output : Re: Possible bug with debug file output Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:47:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible bug with debug file output
From: fillibar
Date: 6 May 2010 21:00:01
Message: <web.4be36594e36e08ee4a3345d60@news.povray.org>
"MDenham" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "fillibar" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> > > Maybe I misunderstood; I thought this was about #debug output being
> > > redirected to a file.
> > >
> > > Of course, if it is about #fopen, then using "#fopen ... append" instead
> > > of "#fopen ... write" should do the trick (except for the first frame,
> > > which should use "write" instead to erase the old contents).
> >
> > No, it is about directing #debug output to a file, the "Debug_File=" command
> > used in a .ini. I will open a bug about it since my feeling is that if you are
> > wanting debug information you probably would want it for the entire duration of
> > a render not just a single frame (if you are making more than one). In the
> > meantime I will also take a look at #fopen as an alternative.
>
> My fault, I misunderstood what you were doing (mostly because I forgot
> Debug_File exists :-/).
>
> Still, I suspect that someone probably made a similar change in the source to
> what I'd mentioned, and instead of "create on first frame, append on all later
> frames" (ideal) or "append on all frames" (acceptable, probably) it's doing
> "create on all frames", giving the results you're seeing.

That is the area I wonder about... Is it a feature because someone wanted it
"create on all frames" at one point, or is it a bug because it is supposed to do
one of the others. For my usage, it is a bug, so I am entering it now. Hopefully
that will either resolve the feature or bug question. If it is a feature, I just
need to find a workaround (rendering 1 frame at a time is really not an option).