POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Possible bug with debug file output : Re: Possible bug with debug file output Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:29:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible bug with debug file output
From: MDenham
Date: 5 May 2010 22:10:00
Message: <web.4be224dde36e08ee5eea6c5d0@news.povray.org>
"fillibar" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Am 06.05.2010 01:50, schrieb MDenham:
> > > I suspect it is intentional (and is the result of enforcing that #fopen w/
> > > "write" re-create the file at all times, as the old behavior probably also led
> > > to unwanted results in different situations).
> > >
> > > The options are to either implement a fourth type of file access for #fopen
> > > that's essentially "write on first frame, append on all later frames", or to do
> > > it manually in your scene.
> >
> > Maybe I misunderstood; I thought this was about #debug output being
> > redirected to a file.
> >
> > Of course, if it is about #fopen, then using "#fopen ... append" instead
> > of "#fopen ... write" should do the trick (except for the first frame,
> > which should use "write" instead to erase the old contents).
>
> No, it is about directing #debug output to a file, the "Debug_File=" command
> used in a .ini. I will open a bug about it since my feeling is that if you are
> wanting debug information you probably would want it for the entire duration of
> a render not just a single frame (if you are making more than one). In the
> meantime I will also take a look at #fopen as an alternative.

My fault, I misunderstood what you were doing (mostly because I forgot
Debug_File exists :-/).

Still, I suspect that someone probably made a similar change in the source to
what I'd mentioned, and instead of "create on first frame, append on all later
frames" (ideal) or "append on all frames" (acceptable, probably) it's doing
"create on all frames", giving the results you're seeing.