POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 37 changes to file gamma? : Re: Beta 37 changes to file gamma? Server Time
5 May 2024 20:49:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 37 changes to file gamma?
From: JJ
Date: 5 May 2010 08:50:00
Message: <web.4be168fc90dc9ef6cdadb0b0@news.povray.org>

> > ; Persistence Of Vision raytracer version 3.5 sample file.
> > File_Gamma = 0.980
> > Display_Gamma = 0.980
> > Antialias=On
> > Sampling_Method=1
> > Antialias_Threshold=0.1
> > Antialias_Depth=4
> > Input_File_Name=name.pov
> > Output_Alpha=off
> > Output_File_Type=N   ;; S= bmp, T=uncompressed tga&   N png output
> > +w800
> > +h600
> >
> > ;+w3200
> > ;+h2400
> > Cyclic_Animation=off
> > Pause_when_Done=on
>
> Are you sure these are the same settings that you used with beta.36?
>
> To be frank, I can't imagine you used PNG output when working with
> beta.36 - because with PNG files, it doesn't matter what encoding gamma
> (derived from File_Gamma) is used: They will only seem to match the
> render preview if you set the proper Display_Gamma for your system
> (provided the image viewer does a proper job).
>

> Anyway, a beta.37a is just about to be released that will restore
> beta.36 gamma behavior.

Hello Clipka and Alain,
If two povman have the same problem, may be they are a problem somewhere in the
beta 37?
I use this ini file:

> > File_Gamma = 0.980
> > Display_Gamma = 0.980
> > Antialias=On
> > Sampling_Method=1
> > Antialias_Threshold=0.1
> > Antialias_Depth=4
> > Input_File_Name=name.pov
> > Output_Alpha=off
> > Output_File_Type=N   ;; S= bmp, T=uncompressed tga&   N png output
> > +w800
> > +h600
> >
> > ;+w3200
> > ;+h2400
> > Cyclic_Animation=off
> > Pause_when_Done=on

 With file gamma AND (so both) Display gamma values 0.98, 1.0, 2.0 and 2.2,  the
picture in the povray window and the picture in the file is not the same for
povray 3.7 beta 37 but it was OK with the previous version. My input files are
all the same, but with beta 37 the gamma is not the same. It's to much time ago
that I don't use v3.6. But finally, may be I will return back to v 3.6 because
the time need for rendering picture is the same with v3.7 beta 37 so why to use
full charge of the CPU for the same result and time consuming.

- So how to obtain the same gamma settings in the povray render windows and file
and which file format you recommand for povray 3.7 beta 37 windows XP, Vista and
7.
- If it is possible to find the previous version somewhere?

many thanks for your advices,

best regards,

JJ