POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 37 changes to file gamma? : Re: Beta 37 changes to file gamma? Server Time
4 May 2024 23:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 37 changes to file gamma?
From: JJ
Date: 4 May 2010 04:50:00
Message: <web.4bdfdf1390dc9ef6cdadb0b0@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> assumed_gamma is been phased out and obsolete.
> Removing it, or commenting it out is the thing to do.
>
> I don't see your problem on my side. In fact, the files I render with
> beta 37 are identical to the beta 36. But, I had the habit of removing
> any assumed_gamma before I started using any of the 3.7 betas.
> In some scenes, I found some prety weird values, like 0.1, 5 or more,
> and some negative values...
>
> Anyway, file_gamma and display_gamma should be set to the actual gamma
> value of your system. 0.980 very probably is not the real gamma of your
> system. Normaly, it's closer to 2.2.
>

> Alain

Hello Alain,

Many thanks for your answer.
I tried to remove "assumed_gamma" in the .pov file. In both cases, with (value
0.8, 1.0 or 2.2) and without, the picture in the render povray window is the
same and the picture in the file picture (e.g. picture.bmp, png or tga) is very
bright washed out. I tried equally with and without radiosity and the same
results: very bright washed out files.
When I use as the first lines in the .ini file:
  File_Gamma = 0.98
  Display_Gamma = 0.98
or 1.0 or 2.2 I have the same problem:
gamma in the display povray window and the file picture (bmp, tga or png) is not
the same: very bright washed out files
But with this ini file, we can read equally in the message windows
    "Parse warning: gamma_correction not specified or inferred so is turned off
for compatibility with this pre POV-Ray 3.7 scene."

So how we can specify the same gamma for the render povray window and the file
picture?

Many thanks,

JJ