POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spectrum : Re: Spectrum Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spectrum
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 29 Apr 2010 11:00:00
Message: <web.4bd99ea8143f040d6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> Yeah, Invisible Worlds did this. They detonated a big stack of
> >> gunpowder, and you actually can see a visible shockwave. It's vaguely
> >> visible even at normal speed, but in super slo mo it's very clear.
> >>
> >> It looks Photoshopped.
> >
> > Do you think it only *looks* 'shopped, or do think it actually *is* 'shopped?
> > I thought it looked as one would expect it to, personally.
>
> I'm rather surprised that it's a real effect. I thought it only happens
> in Hollywood action films. But, apparently, it's real. Even if it does
> look hard to believe...

Nah, hollywood only tends to do it in 2 dimensions, a ring-shaped wave (which I
believe you can get on water surfaces etc, but that's not what I've seen in
movies!). They also make it too prominent and slow-moving. I'm more inclined to
believe the slo-mo because it is spherical, very fast, and fades very rapidly.
Although of course it might be 'shopped!