POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spectrum : Re: Spectrum Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:19:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spectrum
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 29 Apr 2010 10:05:00
Message: <web.4bd9912a143f040d6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> > Sound "images" are common for sonar systems. And ultrasound imaging
> > devices, for that matter.
>
> That's not "taking a picture of sound". That's "using sound to take a
> picture". If you want to split hairs, anyway... ;-)

Interestingly, you can kind of 'take a picture of sound'. I've seen a couple of
videos on youtube of extremely high-speed film footage (i.e., extreme slo-mo
when played back at 25fps), including one of a car being blown up. As the charge
goes off, you can clearly see the shockwave propagate as a glassy shell.