POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Default file type : Re: Default file type Server Time
5 Oct 2024 01:55:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Default file type
From: Kenneth
Date: 26 Apr 2010 16:35:00
Message: <web.4bd5f781412281fae92d9930@news.povray.org>
> Am 26.04.2010 19:34, schrieb Warp:
>
> >> Contrary to rumors, POV-Ray can output JPEG.

> With 3.7, compression is set with the "Compression=N" INI-file option,
> where N is an integer value from 2 ("horrible") to 100 ("top quality").
> A value of either 0 or 1 will select the default (95; 3.6 apparently
> used a value somewhere around 10).

I always thought that .jpeg compression quality was set within a simpler
1-through-10 scale --just those and no in-between values. (That's how my old
version of Photoshop does it, anyway...which is about the extent of my
knowledge.)

How was 95 arrived at for the 3.7 default (vs. 100)? They're so close. More
importantly, can all image-viewing apps decode .jpegs created with such a
'fine-scale' 1-to-100 compression choice? I base this question on problems I've
encountered (in Photoshop again, v5.0): strangely, even within its own 1-to-10
scale, there are several values that produce an image which isn't viewable in
some other apps I have. Maybe that's strictly a problem with the older
Photoshop--but it makes me wonder about the 1-to-100 variation in 3.7. Could the
'wrong choice' of a particular interim value produce an image-decoding problem?

Ken