POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All bow to the mighty Python : Re: All bow to the mighty Python Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:17:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All bow to the mighty Python
From: Clarence1898
Date: 21 Apr 2010 13:55:01
Message: <web.4bcf3ad2de6f369169ec4e2a0@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> > Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> >> So you are saying that the programming language is no good unless it
> >> allows production code to be floated around on blogs?
> >
> >   No, I'm saying that using whitespace as syntax is a bad idea.
>
> So is lower case letters, because EBCDIC doesn't support that. :-)
>
> --
> Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
>    Linux: Now bringing the quality and usability of
>    open source desktop apps to your personal electronics.

Actually EBCDIC does support lower case.
a thru i is x'81' to x'89'
j thru r is x'91' to x'99'
s thru z is x'a2' to x'a9'

I once had a case where I had to deal with lower case numbers.
0 thru 9 were encoded as x'b0' to x'b9'

To change to uppercase just 'or' with a blank (x'40').
To change uppercase to lowercase xor with x'bf'

There is even a valid card punch for lower case letters.

An a is a 12-0-1 punch,
A  b is a 12-0-2 punch,
etc.

Isaac