POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 21 Apr 2010 11:05:01
Message: <web.4bcf13697093ed246dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> I still remember my IT teacher at school telling me in 1995 that he heard
> the new Windows OS was going to have a "task bar", and how they had copied
> the Acorn design.  In fairness I doubt that whoever decided on the task bar
> had even seen an Acorn machine before.  Although there is a classic anecdote
> going around the Acorn world that apparently Bill Gates was once watching a
> demo from Acorn of how to network machines together, and he asked "what's a
> network?".

Heh, reminds me of font aa too. RISCOS had the most advanced font aa at the time
(still looks better than modern systems, although it doesn't matter so much with
screen res these days). I heard somewhere they tried to licence the tech to MS,
but didn't get anywhere... that might have changed the history of the uk pc
industry a little. Although I guess ARM did OK ;)