POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All about presentation : Re: All about presentation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All about presentation
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 16 Apr 2010 16:10:01
Message: <web.4bc8c357d7b94c0cf23275f30@news.povray.org>
> Now I'm sure I've heard people complain that "the GIMP is an image
> processor, not a paint program".

It's a very good image processor, but it does so much more than that. It but
lacks full HDR support (coming soon, I understand).

> Well, there is that too, yes. ;-) From what little research I've done,
> the way the GIMP works makes sense to the people who designed it, but
> fails to follow any normal kind of intuition, making it maddeningly hard
> to learn.

It's nowhere near as hard as Blender, but not completely trivial either. It
works more similarly to Paintshop than Photoshop (as far as I can tell, not
having used Photoshop o_O). But, naturally, there are oodles of really good
tutorials out there for it.

> I've seen it, I've used it, it's nice that it exists, but it's really
> not very easy to do anything remotely useful with it.

Hmm, I thought it was extremely intuitive for open-source. I've used it quite a
lot for making POV-Ray splines. It's also pretty handy for designing simple
icons etc due to its bitmap export options. Great for line diagrams too.

:)