POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help in optimizing a scene : Re: Help in optimizing a scene Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help in optimizing a scene
From: ruy
Date: 15 Apr 2010 08:10:01
Message: <web.4bc7018ab216ab30ab3787c40@news.povray.org>
> You're using a blob with refractive and reflective members. I'm not sure
> about 3.6, but until recently 3.7 betas were prone to run into endless
> recursions there.
>
> If 3.6 suffers from the same ailment, it should suffice to give the blob
> as a whole a reflective and refractive texture as well; with all members
> having their individual textures, this will have no further effect
> except forcing a flag that prevents the endless recursions.
>
> In current 3.7 betas, this problem should be fixed.

Excellent advice!

I simply took the "finish" blocks out of the #while loop, and this alone made it
around 7 times faster, by my calculations.

I don't know if there are other tweaks to the scene (I'm looking into radiosity
right now, as it seems to be a good candidate for optimization), bu this already
makes it feasible to render the scene.

Thanks a lot! :D