POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fade Cutoff : Re: Fade Cutoff Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fade Cutoff
From: Kenneth
Date: 15 Apr 2010 01:35:04
Message: <web.4bc6a47821ab81f65f302820@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> If you render in a format that have a deeper range, then you can reduce
> adc_bailout further.
> If you render with +fn16 (16 bit per channel PNG), then, in some case,
> it may make cense to set: adc_bailout 1/pow(2,16)

That's very interesting; I didn't know it was possible. (I *thought* the lower
limit was 1/2^8--although the docs don't say so.)

> But that can increase the rendering time if you have many reflections
> and transparence. It can also push you over the max_trace_level
> resulting in black pixels.

Reading the docs on max_trace_level, one part implies that the value *can* be
set higher than 256 if needed--but then later, it says that 256 is the limit.
I.e., a 'matching' value of pow(2,16) isn't possible. Which would indeed result
in some black pixels, I think.

Ken