POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Spark/Electricity : Re: Spark/Electricity Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:29:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spark/Electricity
From: Reactor
Date: 14 Apr 2010 16:50:01
Message: <web.4bc629865cca2b3668331d780@news.povray.org>
> Reactor wrote:
>
> > I wanted to stay away from the light_sources method, because I know
> > it can cause a substantial increase in render times.
>
> It was actually this thread which triggered me to
> propose the fade_cutoff_distance in p.general.

Neat!  Though, thinking about that, it seems more like some for of light_source
folding or combining would be a better - a very bright spark could behave more
like a small area light or a regular point light for distant objects, and more
like the full group of lights for nearby objects.  Of course, at that point it
starts to touch light_group territory, but I like the idea of a light_source
having a fade_cutoff_distance and perhaps a way of defining the cutoff behavior
(another light_source definition or nothing).

-Reactor