POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Spark/Electricity : Re: Spark/Electricity Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:13:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spark/Electricity
From: Reactor
Date: 11 Apr 2010 16:10:00
Message: <web.4bc22bda5cca2b366811279d0@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> The glow did not cast light. If you want the spark to cast light, you
> have two options:
> 1 - Add several relatively faint light_source at the center of the
> various medias. All of those light_source also need fade_distance
> Thickness+0.01 fade_power 2. An intensity of
> ElectricColor(ValueM)*Brightness is a reasonable starting point but may
> be to strong as you can have over 100 lights.
> 2 - Use radiosity with "media on" to enable the media to cast light.
>
> Both options will increase the rendering time.

I wanted to stay away from the light_sources method, because I know it can cause
a substantial increase in render times.  What I was thinking of doing is using
radiosity with spheres or short cylinders that are invisible (using the
no_image, no_reflection, and no_shadow keywords).

Are you sure merge will be faster?  I haven't tested it with this, but in the
past it is usually slower than a union or not combining the objects.  Of course,
since the difference in render times wasn't very large, merge is a very good
option for avoiding the max_trace issue.

-Reactor