POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is what I like pov-ray for : Re: This is what I like pov-ray for Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is what I like pov-ray for
From: Reactor
Date: 9 Apr 2010 04:20:01
Message: <web.4bbee211f36de930a00793690@news.povray.org>
> Am 03.04.2010 20:39, schrieb Darren New:
> >
> > It's not my code or idea or anything. But the ability to play with
> > algorithms like this and then output SDL instead of pixels is I think
> > much better than having to write the ray-tracer yourself just cause you
> > have a good idea for a picture. :-)
>
> I wonder whether it would be possible to write a POV-Ray patch to
> implement a "repeating CSG" object type, repeating a set of objects /ad
> infinitum/ in one, two or three directions (while still retaining the
> possibility of placing individual non-repeating objects, which seems
> reasonably difficult to me with the "infinity box" approach). Ideally
> with some pattern parameter to pick one out of multiple object sets for
> each "cell"...

My goodness, did someone just voice support for aperiodic tiling??  Because that
would be neat if you could do it for objects as well as textures (using, say, an
array of tiles, the number of which matches or exceeds the amount of tiles
required).  I like the idea of having, say, an array of Wang tiles of images (or
objects) that you can use... however you want, I guess.

A while back I played with writing a function that would generate a Wang tileset
and map the tiles to a 2d rectangular area, but I got bogged down because I was
using a very naive brute force matching algorithm.  Anyway, yeah...

Reactor