POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : B-29 bomber--animation : Re: B-29 bomber--animation Server Time
10 May 2024 10:59:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: B-29 bomber--animation
From: Kenneth
Date: 5 Apr 2010 14:20:00
Message: <web.4bba297ed0e9e2de65f302820@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Second, any problems with the detail in the ground are solved by the
> clouds, which make it hard to get a good look at the ground.
> Admittedly, a real task force flying a combat mission would be flying
> under the clouds (if over friendly territory) or over them (if over
> enemy territory), and not flying *in* them...
> Although I note on further viewing that only the wounded craft is flying
> in the clouds.

Thanks for all the nice comments. Yeah, I thought about this cloud thing for
quite awhile; honestly, it just looked more *interesting* for the main B-29 to
be flying within the clouds, passing through them. It also helped create a
'speedier' feeling in the scene--the clouds are really the only visual clue as
to speed. (Well, the contrails too--but they end up being hidden to a fair
degree.) And I did purposely put the other two bombers up above the clouds, for
the reasons you mentioned. It's just that the disabled bomber is having a hard
time maintaining altitude. ;-)  In the final analysis, though, it was all done
to get a more-or-less balanced visual composition; reality took a back seat.

Ken