POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : renaming POV-Ray :-) : Re: renaming POV-Ray :-) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:14:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: renaming POV-Ray :-)
From: Mr
Date: 27 Mar 2010 06:45:00
Message: <web.4bade181f0a39667215ee31a0@news.povray.org>
Another idea is why would I need to pronouce the "ray" anytime I talked of it to
someone? Any decent renderer today is able to raytrace after all. well actually
this gives a clue that it's a renderer. But then POV is not really cool: it
sounds like "bof" which means "so, so...". Besides "pauvre" woulde still be
present if we talked about the Pov renderer. the kind of thing someone will
always make you repeat to make sure he heard correctly, just like the present
name.

I do like the whole Persistence (of) Vision idea, to me PV-Ray would sound much
better. But so close to the existing Vray, doesn't it seem closer to renderman
in its approach?

Actually having the renderer called just Persistence would be enough and would
also add to its present meaning the idea of maturity which is its strongest
point indeed.

I think that's how I'll first introduce it from now, not to scare people away at
the first mention of it. Then they will find out the complete name when they're
on the official site and they have the incredible pictures of the hall of fame
under their eyes... It will be too late for them to run away :)