POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Limping Back Home (B-29 bomber) : Re: Limping Back Home (B-29 bomber) Server Time
19 May 2024 10:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limping Back Home (B-29 bomber)
From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Mar 2010 11:00:01
Message: <web.4bab7881ae0d85565f302820@news.povray.org>
"Charles C" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Wow, high marks indeed!  Great modeling.  There are many things I could ask but
> I'd like to know what approach you took for the ground and the motion.  You did
> a good job at creating an unsteady camera.

Thank you! I have a few time-saving 'tools' that I've constructed over the last
couple of years that I regularly use now in my animations (and that I've been
*meaning* to post.) The shaking-camera look comes from one such tool, basically
a random-spline generator--a macro (but designed for animation). I've since
discovered that it has MANY more uses. It's all over this scene, in various
places--the contrails, the dipping/turning of the airplane, etc. Sometimes
modified, sometimes not. In fact, this scene helped me 'optimize' the code for
it.

The ground is just a B&W satellite image (of Paris!) that I 'colorized', and
applied to a plane, with some movement of the image_map in z. There are also
tens of thousands of buildings down there (simple boxes, in random sizes and
groupings)--which really can't be seen too clearly. But the ground just didn't
look 'correct' without them--kind of a subliminal detail. I guess.

Ken